Under the supervision of the Animal Control Chief, performs duties as assigned to maintain the kennel and oversee animal care. May monitor the work of volunteers and assigned trustees.
Essential Functions1. Responsible for maintaining the kennel, including feeding, cleaning and disinfecting.
2. Provides kennel maintenance and animal feeding and watering duties on holidays and weekends.
3. Reviews the general health and condition of animals brought to the shelter. Assists officers with identifying animal temperament and recommendations for appropriate adoptive homes.
4. May perform euthanasia of animals.
5. May remove heads of animals suspected of rabies for shipping to the Department of Community Health for testing.
6. May Monitor the work of volunteers and assigned trustees.
7. Assists the public, Animal Control Officers, and Intake Coordinator with support functions including selling dog licenses, doing adoptions, vaccinations, and receiving animals into the kennel, transporting animals.
8. Operates a computer terminal to look up information
9. Other duties as assigned
This may not be inclusive of the total scope of job functions to be performed. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or modified at any time.
Education: High school graduation or equivalent.
Experience: Some prior related experience working with animals is required. Possess interpersonal skills to work effectively with volunteers and the public.
Other Requirements: Holidays and weekend work hours. Requires a valid Michigan Driver's license.
Knowledge of basic animal husbandry as well as preventative and routine medical needs of domestic animals.
Knowledge of appropriate body conditions of different species of animals including but not limited to dogs, cat, livestock, etc.
Skill in reading and understanding animal body language.
Ability to care, feed and water animals brought into Animal Control.
Ability to diffuse situations with the hostile public while on complaints and welfare checks.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in the job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Worker's Compensation Code: 87704
Occupational Employment Statistical Code: 63009
Physical Requirements [This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the following requirement s and working conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements].
Ability to subdue, capture and transport animals. Walks over uneven terrain to collect animals.
Ability to lift animals weighing up to 90 lbs. to vehicle or other location.
Ability to lift and carry animal cages to vehicle. Ability to lift and carry dead animals. Ability to bend, stoop and crawl under porches, in crawl spaces and other locations in order to retrieve animals.
Ability to lift bags of dog food weighing up to 50 lbs.
Works outside in varying weather conditions. Exposure to the risk of being bitten by animals.
Exposure to high levels of noise and odor of impounded animals. Exposure to diseases communicated by animals.
Kennel Attendant - Lapeer, MI 48446 - Indeed.com