HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT A CAREER AS A 9-1-1 DISPATCHER?
Lapeer County Central Dispatch is looking for motivated individuals interested in becoming Communications Specialists. There is no experience necessary for this rewarding career. We offer paid, on-the-job training and excellent benefits.
- Open availability. This is a union position that requires overtime and shift work. Set schedules are assigned, but fill-in shifts are required, as needed. Specialists work 12 hour shifts. Their rotation is 2-off, 2-on, 3-off with the next week working 2-on, 2-off, 3-on.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, stressful environment, while adapting to changing priorities.
- Ability to listen to multiple sources of information at once through selective listening.
- Impeccable attention to detail and thoroughness.
- Ability to read and interpret mapping.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to pass pre-employment testing (typing, general aptitude, “hands-on” performance.)
- Favorable results of psychological evaluation and Sheriff’s Department background check.
WAGES AND BENEFITS
6 months: $20.43
Year 1: $21.86
Year 2: $23.57
Year 3: $25.27
Year 4: $27.11 ($56,388.80 annually plus overtime!)
Benefits and Offerings
- Medical: Lapeer County offers employees five Health Plan options through McLaren Health Plan. If you already have medical coverage you are entitled to an opt-out payment.
- Vision: Lapeer County offers a Blue Cross & Blue Shield plan for employees.
- Dental: Lapeer County offers a plan through Delta Dental.
- Vacation: Lapeer County provides a generous amount of vacation days to full-time employees so you can spend time with family and friends.
- 1-2 years: 80 hours
- 2-8 years: 120 hours
- 8-19 years: 160 hours
- 20+ years: 200 hours
- Holidays: Lapeer County offers the following paid holidays per year. Central Dispatch employees earn double time and a half for those holidays that are worked.
- Personal Time: Employees receive 24 hours annually to use for appointments, take care of family needs and other personal reasons.
- Sick Time: Full-time employees earn 4 hours per pay period.
- Retirement: Lapeer County offers a PENSION through Municipal Employees’ Retirement System (MERS.)
- Health Care Savings: Lapeer County provides a tax-free medical savings account for covering the costs of post-employment medical expenses
- Life Insurance: Lapeer County provides full-time employees $25,000 worth of Life Insurance automatically. Additional coverage is offered for purchase during enrollment.
- Short Term Disability: Lapeer County offers a plan through AFLAC.
- Long Term Disability: Lapeer County offers a plan through Madison National Life, which pays 60 percent of your salary or wages.
- Employee Assistance Program: All employees enrolled in the county’s group term life insurance coverage through Madison National and National Insurance Services are automatically covered by the Employee Assistance Program, Identity Theft Protection services and LIFT session Fitness.
- Longevity Bonus: Paid after 5, 10, 15 years of service.
- Collective Bargaining Agreement
How to Apply
When submitting an application, you must do the following:
- The application must be filled out completely and legibly.
- A resume must be included.
- Resume must be in black & white on standard copy paper (no folders or fancy sheets, fonts, pictures, et al.)
Applications and resumes may be dropped off in person or sent via U.S. mail to:
Lapeer County Central Dispatch
2332 W Genesee St
Lapeer, MI 48446
You may email them to:
‘records [at] lapeercounty911.org’
***Applications and resumes MUST be emailed in PDF format only (.doc or .docx will not be accepted due to security risks). If your files are in a format other than PDF they will be rejected and deleted. Applications also must include “Application” in the subject line in order for your application to be seen and processed.
The County of Lapeer is a drug-free employer, including the use of marijuana.