Applications & Forms
FOR UTILITY COMPANIES
APPLICATION FOR UTILITY WORK IN A COUNTY DRAIN - For use by UTILITY COMPANIES only
In order for a utility company to cross an existing right-of-way of a drain, the company must submit a completed Application for Utility Work in a County Drain form, along with the following:
- Parcel legal description
- One set of site plans showing the drain, drain easement, and proposed crossing, encroachment or connection. The plans shall include a detailed, scaled plan, profile, and sectional view of the drain at the crossing, connection and/or encroachment and for the full width of the easement.
- Plans must be sealed by a professional engineer licensed in the State of Michigan.
- Application Fee is $250 per location
- Additional costs for engineering and legal expenses are required
- A cash bond of $10,000 shall be retained by the county for 1 year to ensure proper completion of work.
- Application must be received and approved prior to commencement of work.
FOR PROPERTY OWNERS
ACT 40 – DRAIN RIGHT-OF-WAY PERMIT - For use by PROPERTY OWNERS only.
In order for a property owner to cross an existing right-of-way of a drain, he or she must submit a completed ACT 40 Permit Application along with an approved permit from Michigan’s EGLE Department, which can be obtained on the MIWaters website: http://www.mi.gov/miwaters
PUBLIC ACT 222 OF 2001 – NOTICE OF CLAIM
In 2001, the Michigan Legislature passed a law to create an exception to governmental immunity for damages caused by the back up or overflow of sewage disposal or storm water systems when certain criteria are met. This law is known as Public Act 222 of 2001 (“PA 222”).
For more information about Public Act 222 of 2001, please review this Frequently Asked Questions sheet.
Anyone experiencing damages to real property or physical injuries from an “event” must file a written claim within 45 days. The claim must include:
- Name, address and phone number
- Address of the affected property
- Date when the damages were discovered
- Brief description of the claim
You may use this form to submit this information to the Drain Office: PA 222 of 2001 – Notice of Claim